SEASONAL ECOLOGISTS x 2
Role 1: Seasonal Ecologist - Protected habitats and species (bats)
Role 2: Seasonal Ecologist - ECoW/Land Management
|Cheddar, Somerset (remote working available)
|Full time (37.5 hours per week)
|Seasonal (6 months, 1st May – 31st October 2024)
|£22,300-£26,460 (pro rata)
|23rd February 2024
First Ecology is actively hiring two seasonal ecologists to join our team, contributing to our mission of creating a Wilder Somerset!
First Ecology is the consultancy arm of the Somerset Wildlife Trust dedicated to excellence in upholding best practices while delivering pragmatic project outcomes. We recruit and train talented individuals to provide top-tier technical advice and support for diverse development and conservation projects across the south-west, UK. Specializing in ecology with developing expertise in arboriculture, land advice and management services, we collaborate within multidisciplinary teams and have built a broad customer base across public, private, and commercial sectors. Our positive approach and strong work ethic have established a varied project portfolio, from minor habitat management to national development projects.
Your work with us not only promises a rewarding career but will also contribute to the First Ecology’s and Somerset Wildlife Trust's collective mission of creating a Wilder Somerset.
The roles involve conducting ecological work primarily in the south-west, providing opportunities to develop technical knowledge and practical skills.
- Role 1: This role includes delivering various protected habitat and species surveys, with a specific opportunity to train as a specialist bat ecologist.
- Role 2: This role offers a chance to gain experience as an on-site ecological clerk of works and, if desired, participation in land management operations.
For more details about the role and the desired skills, please refer to the job description and person specification provided in the link below:
We seek individuals with exemplary professional conduct, strong customer service skills, quick learning abilities with attention to detail, organizational prowess, comfort in working outdoors and undertaking practical tasks, and a genuine desire to contribute to increasing the proportion of land under positive wildlife management.
- 1-2 years environmental/ecological consultancy, or other, professional experience.
- Educated to degree level or MSc level in a relevant discipline or disciplines (or equivalent experience).
- Willingness and ability to undertake manual work outdoors in safe weather conditions and during anti-social hours.
- Personal qualities and professional conduct consistent with First Ecology values.
- Excellent organisation, attention to detail, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Full UK driving licence and access to a personal vehicle.
- Eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship.
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (pro rata).
- Flexible working hours, including hybrid working/working from home (where possible).
- Paid training as part of an individual CPD commitment and the opportunity to progress professionally.
- Full time off in lieu (TOIL) system.
- 7% employer pension contribution.
- Opportunities to progress professionally (e.g. protected species survey licences and operator tickets).
- Local work, with minimal overnight stays required.
- Access to company pool vehicles.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
To apply, please submit your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is midnight on 23rd February 2024. Please note that we will review applications periodically throughout the advertising period and may close the advert early if a suitable applicant is found.
We will endeavour to respond to all applicants with confirmation as to the status of their application within two weeks of the closing date. Thank you for taking the time to review our Seasonal Ecologist vacancies, we look forward to hearing from you.
No recruitment agencies please.