|Location||Somerset and UK wide|
|Hours||Full time (37.5 hours per week)|
|Contact name||Helen Ward|
|Contact telephone||01823 652425|
First Ecology is an ecological consultancy committed to upholding best practice standards whilst also achieving pragmatic project outcomes. To deliver services of the highest quality, First Ecology is committed to the recruitment and training of talented individuals with the expertise to provide technical advice and support on development and conservation schemes across the UK. We specialise in ecological services but routinely work collaboratively as part of multidisciplinary teams. Due to our dedicated work ethic and positive approach, we have established a broad customer base which extends across public, private and commercial sectors. This affords a diversity of project types from minor habitat management tasks to participation in national development projects and ensures a varied and interesting project portfolio. As well as offering an engaging and rewarding career, your work will generate unrestricted funds which will be returned to the parent company, Somerset Wildlife Trust, to support their charitable conservation work across the county.
The role is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who enjoys working with people to secure positive ecological outcomes. It will allow you to build on your experience across a broad diversity of work types and take control of your own schedule with a combination of site and office/home working. Each day will bring new challenges to apply your skills to and interesting projects to lead on. Take responsibility for a range of ecological consultancy and advisory services for a variety of development, land management and conservation projects and contracts (e.g. preliminary appraisals, BNG and protected species assessments including licensing, mitigation and monitoring aspects, ECoW, biodiversity enhancement strategies and habitat creation). Liaise with clients, contractors and statutory agents, manage project budgets and timescales, undertake ecological surveys and produce high-quality technical reports. Your input will be instrumental in achieving successful project outcomes from initial concept to final completion checks; with the support and guidance of senior colleagues as required.
Furthermore, the role will allow you to constantly improve your technical competencies and, with structured training, enable you to attain protected species licenses and/or pursue an alternative chosen specialism. The position also presents opportunities to refine your commercial understanding via opportunities to input into project budgets, undertake performance evaluation reviews and improve operational systems and processes. Equally, we are keen to equip you with the management skills required to progress your career to a senior position including mentoring and coordination of junior colleagues, forward planning and logistical organisation, and negotiation and decision making.
- Three or more years consultancy experience with a history of project management.
- Educated to degree level or MSc level in a relevant discipline or disciplines.
- Holder of a full UK driving licence.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management or eligible to apply.
- Holder of a CSCS card or eligible to apply.
- Commercially focused with a commitment to delivering work to a high-quality in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Passionate about ecology and the development of the discipline to improve treatment of sites and approach to works proposed.
- Personal qualities consistent with First Ecology values: collaborative, pragmatic, friendly, conscientious, organized and reliable.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Work in a friendly and supportive team.
- Flexible home and/or office working.
- Flexible working hours and time of in lieu (TOIL) system
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and three days discretionary leave at Christmas.
- Payment of membership subscription of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management.
- Paid training as part of an individual CPD commitment (e.g. protected species courses).
- Opportunities to progress professionally.
- Company vehicle use.
To apply send your CV to Helen Ward (Consultancy Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enquiries are welcome by telephone to 01823 652425 please ask for Helen.
No recruitment agencies or previous applicants please.