|Hours||Full-time (37.5 hours per week)|
|Closing date||18th January 2020|
|Contact name||Helen Ward|
|Contact telephone||01823 652425|
First Ecology is an environmental consultancy committed to upholding best practice standards whilst also achieving pragmatic project outcomes. To deliver services of the highest quality, First Ecology is committed to the recruitment and training of talented individuals with the expertise to provide technical advice and support on development and conservation schemes across the UK. We specialise in ecology, arboricultural and landscape services but routinely work collaboratively as part of multidisciplinary teams. Due to our dedicated work ethic and positive approach, we have established a broad customer base which extends across public, private and commercial sectors. This affords a diversity of project types from minor habitat management tasks to participation in national development projects and ensures a varied and interesting project portfolio. As well as offering an engaging and rewarding career, First Ecology is a committed environmental consultancy, fully owned by Somerset Wildlife Trust. By joining First Ecology you will be joining an organisation whose deep knowledge of the county, its habitats and wildlife, makes it well equipped to support nature’s recovery and in creating a society and local economy where nature matters. Your work will generate unrestricted funds which will be returned to Somerset Wildlife Trust, to support their charitable conservation work across the county.
Do you have experience in ecology and are keen to work for a professional and commercial environmental consultancy whilst supporting Somerset Wildlife Trust’s charitable conservation work?
First Ecology appreciates the valuable contribution of senior colleagues within the business and is keen to support you in pursuing further career development. As a Senior Ecologist you will have the opportunity to expand your commercial and managerial skills whilst also progressing technically. In addition, you will benefit from a predominantly office-hours working pattern and attractive remuneration package.
The role is responsible for supporting a team of ecologists to deliver services to an exceptional standard within agreed budgets and timescales and fully ensure client satisfaction. This will require focus across financial, human resource and technical aspects of the business.
- Strategic planning: input into First Ecology’s annual budget and business plan, monthly income and expenditure accruals, and regularly review performance and act to attain targets.
- Sales: take a lead role in maintaining and building strong working relationships with existing clients. Recognise quote opportunities and contribute to the preparation of tender responses, track projects throughout their lifespan and constantly seek to improve operations and outputs.
- Leadership and mentoring: take pride in developing a team of ecologists through ongoing mentoring and training; and encourage adherence to First Ecology’s standard procedures and policies.
- Project delivery: undertake and assist projects where high-level technical input is required to obtain and implement protected species mitigation licences.
- 5-10 years consultancy experience with a history of holding protected species survey and mitigation licences.
- Educated to degree level or MSc level in a relevant discipline or disciplines
- Holder of a full UK driving licence
- Full membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- Holder of a current CSCS card to site visit level or above
- Exemplary professional conduct
- Exemplary office conduct
- Personal qualities consistent with First Ecology values
- Commercially focused with a commitment to delivering working to a high-quality in a cost-effective and timely manner.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Highly competent in the use of office applications
- Work in a friendly and supportive team with a relaxed office atmosphere.
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and three days discretionary leave at Christmas.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- Paid training as part of an individual CPD commitment (e.g. protected species courses)
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunities to progress professionally
- Personal protective equipment and work uniform
- Company vehicle use.
To apply send your CV to Helen Ward (Consultancy Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org putting Senior Ecologist/Ecologist in the subject box of you supporting email. The closing date for applications is the 18th January 2021. Initial interviews will be held remotely week commencing 25th January 2021
If you feel you may not quite have the experience to fulfil this role but believe strongly that your knowledge and experience would enable you to add significant value to First Ecology then please send you CV to email@example.com together with an email, explaining what you feel you are able to contribute to First Ecology. Please title your email General Enquiry in the subject bar of your accompanying email.
More general enquiries are welcome by telephone to 01823 652425 please ask for Helen.
No recruitment agencies or previous applicants please.